My Assessment of Blackjack Online Casino Sites
There are many things I look for when reviewing NZ online casinos that offer the best blackjack games. Only then does a casino make it to my list of recommended platforms for others. Here are the key factors that dictate my recommendations:
Promotions and Bonuses to Boost Bets
One of the best things about playing online blackjack games is getting promotions along the way. These can range from free cash that doesn’t require a single deposit to a match bonus that doubles or triples your deposit. Getting such a gift means more games to enjoy, increasing your chances of winning.
Security of User Data
The safety of user data must be important to all the best online blackjack sites. The first thing to check for is a valid license by the relevant authorities. This ensures that the online casino you’re joining is legal and abides by the applicable laws. Another key element in this regard is the latest SSL encryptionSSL encryptionSSL encryption technology that keeps all sensitive information secure at all times.
Gaming on the Go
The best blackjack sites know that players enjoy gambling on the go. That’s why they ensure their operations on smartphones and tablets. Even if a site doesn’t have a dedicated app, I thoroughly test its optimization for mobile browsers. If it’s laggy and doesn’t offer all the main features, it doesn’t make the cut.
Blackjack Titles that Offer Real Money
It’s crucial to find out which online blackjack titles are available at the site you’re considering. Who has developed these titles and how many can you play as a Kiwi? The more high-quality options there are, the better it’ll be for your gambling experience.
Opportunity to Try Blackjack for Free
Some people may not consider this important, but I like to see free options in New Zealand casinos too. These usually demo versions that beginner blackjack players can check out before putting real money on the blackjack table.
Payouts that are Fast and Convenient
Testing payout methods is one of my main priorities when testing top blackjack casinos. There need to be multiple banking options supported by platforms claiming to be fast payout providers so that players can get their winnings out quickly. Nobody wants to wait for “5 to 7 business days” to get their money.
Popular Variants of Blackjack
In New Zealand, you can usually find a good number of variations for this title. Whether you like the American version or the European one, there should be something to fit your mood. Casinos, therefore, need to have a healthy collection of variants to make it on the list.
Support for NZ Players
And last but not the least, every casino I recommend needs to accept players from New Zealand. The Kiwis love their games but not every platform out there supports people from the country. So, you should always check whether you are eligible to play at a certain casino or not. A quick way to check this is to find out if the platform supports NZD as a currency option.
Types of Online Blackjack Bonuses that New Zealanders can Claim
The blackjack casinos that want to become top options offer plenty of promos for Kiwis. Any online blackjack casino gunning for first place ensures offering these gifts. You can claim them in one of the following ways:
- Welcome Gift: Offered to Kiwis for signing up by the casino so they’re able to start playing games without too big of a financial investment right away.
- No-Deposit Gift: Provided in the form of additional funds in your wallet or free spins without the need for any deposit from your side.
- Match Deposit Gift: A great way to increase your deposits as the casino gives you double or triple the amount of money you’ve deposited. Some of the top casinos for real money offer even bigger multiples. These are excellent to enjoy more casino blackjack games.
How to Play Online Blackjack
Any real money blackjack game you play will follow the same core rules. There are some variations across different types but the basic idea stays the same. Here are the rules to keep in mind:
- The goal is to get a hand with a total closer to 21. Your hand is compared with the dealer’s.
- The croupier starts off the game with 2 cards to the house and 2 to the player. This gives the player a starting total.
- You choose whether to stand or hit. Standing means you’re okay with your total and want to see the house’s hand. Hitting means you want another card.
- If you get two same numbers, you can choose to split them into two hands. This increases your odds of winning against the live dealer but also requires you to place another bet on the second hand.
- The ace can have a value of 1 or 11, depending on the situation. By default, it is read as 11. If your total goes higher than twenty-one, the value of your ace goes down to 1.
- Getting an ace and a royal card gives you a higher payout than usual.
These are the rules you’ll find when enjoying blackjack, whether you play at live casinos or otherwise. Spending your time experiencing live dealer games at blackjack casinos, however, is a great way to gamble in my opinion as you get to enjoy the real thrill of gambling while in the comfort of your home.
Blackjack Strategies for an Upper Hand
Having played the game for years means that I have some experience winning money. Here are some good strategies to keep in mind if you want to win online more often:
- Remember that you need to get a number higher than the croupier, not necessarily very close to twenty-one. Keep an eye on the house’s face-up card in live dealer blackjack to figure out how to proceed.
- If you get a pair of small numbers, splitting them is a solid idea because you can pair each hand easily with additional an card to get closer to the magic number.
- Standing on 17 is usually not a good idea. You should try to beat 17 to beat the dealer most of the time.
- The chance of the dealer’s face-down card being 10 is less than 50%, so it’s better not to base your decisions on that assumption.
Tips and Tricks to Win at Online Blackjack
To win blackjack online NZ games, you need to spend a lot of time figuring out the best ways to go about each match. With some tips and tricks though, it’s easier to get started and get some winnings. Here are some of mine that you can use in any casino and increase your odds of beating the house edge when playing live blackjack.
- In your online blackjack games, look at the dealer’s hand carefully and figure out your next move based on the information you get.
- Don’t just guess blindly but do it smartly. Real money blackjack games can be won more often when you look at the house hand. Remember, you can beat the house even if you get a total of 12.
- Don’t focus on other players. Your match is against the house only.
- This point is not related to this title only. Whether you play online roulette or poker, gamble carefully. Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose because a lot of gambling is about luck at the end of the day.
Popular NZ Blackjack Variants
Atlantic City Blackjack
You get two cards face-up while the dealer gets one card face-up and one remains face-down. The players of this New Zealand online blackjack variant get a “Late Surrender” option through which they can decide to forfeit the game and lose half their bet.
In this variant, all the rules of classic blackjack apply apart from one change: the dealer only gets a single card when starting the match. The second card comes only when the player decides what to do.
Vegas Strip Blackjack
Vegas Strip blackjack online allows players to split up to four hands and double down on any two cards. You can also split 10-valued cards even if they’re both different.
Spanish 21 Blackjack
This variant is among the most popular for players in New Zealand online casinos because it has some unique rules to help players win more often. It’s played with 6 or 8 decks from which the 10-cards are removed. Players can double down on any two numbers from the initial deal and can also surrender to lose half their bet. If they get 21, they instantly win. If they get a blackjack while the house also has it, they win instead of getting a tie.
This is the classic version of online blackjack. All the rules basic game rules apply here, without any additional considerations for the players or the house.
Live Dealer Blackjack
Any variant of this game can be listed in this category as long as it involves actual live dealers. This is the biggest benefit of playing at a live casino online because you get to gamble in front of a real croupier via video conferencing software, making it feel like the real deal. All my recommended new online casinos feature such an option because it is a must-have these days.
Blackjack Surrender allows players to fold their hand, or forfeit the match in other words, at any time. This makes them lose only half their bet which is a good compromise if they have a really bad hand.
In this online blackjack variant, you always play with two hands. The quirky thing about it, however, is that you can switch a card from one hand to the other to get the best possible chance of winning.
Paid Blackjack vs Free Games
- Very big prizes to take home if you manage to win a tournament.
- Generous gifts and promos offered by casinos in New Zealand that have online blackjack.
- Many more variations to try, opening up more opportunities to win.
- The chance to play against a live croupier online.
- No need to register for an account online as you can play instantly.
- No real money is involved so you can enjoy yourself stress-free.
- Great way to practice your skills and get to grips with this classic NZ casino title.
- An excellent option for Kiwis who just want to have some virtual fun and not worry too much about things like the house edge and winning odds.
What are Blackjack Cards Worth?
One aspect that new players often struggle with when playing online blackjack games for real money is the value of each card. Before you head on to mobile casinos to compete against the house, learning about each card’s worth is important. The good news is that it isn’t very difficult:
- Each normal card is valued at its face value. So, the number you see is the number you get.
- The King, Queen, and Jack each have a value of 10.
- The Ace has a value of 11. However, this changes to 1 if your total exceeds 21.
That is all you need to know about the worth these real cards have in casinos online. Even if you’re playing a different variant, no casino will grant its own value to each card.
Pros and Cons of Playing Online Blackjack
- Very simple rules to follow, no matter which casino you play at.
- Plenty of variations to try, depending on your preference and mood.
- Options like surrender give you a chance to save half your bet and try again.
- Many promos and gifts to claim at each casino along the way.
- Requires some practice to win online matches.
- Card counting doesn’t work when playing online so you have to rely mainly on luck.
- Promos usually have wagering requirements to fulfill before you can cash them out.
There are many NZ online casino blackjack sites that you can head on to and start playing this classic title. However, what’s crucial before doing that is to get an understanding of the game. The suggestions in this guide are a result of years of experience playing at casinos in New Zealand, both online and physically and are sure to help you get better at this game from the get-go. I’ve spent a lot of time and effort creating this guide to help new and experienced players alike excel at the online platform of their choice, and win some money in the process.
1️⃣ What is Double Down in Blackjack?
If you’re confident about your original hand, you can double your bet right there and then. The dealer will then give you only one additional card after which you have to wait and see what the house has and whether you’ve won or not. This is called doubling down on your bet.
2️⃣ When to Split in Blackjack?
You can split when you have two cards with the same number on them. It is often a good idea to split aces, eights, tens, and smaller numbers like twos and threes.
3️⃣ How Does Blackjack Card Counting Work?
In simple words, card counting works by keeping a tally of everything dealt to figure out if the next card will be a high-numbered card or a low-numbered one. This doesn’t work very well in online games because of the speed at which everything happens.
4️⃣ How can NZ players find a good blackjack casino online?
You can easily find a great NZ casino to play at by reading my reviews. Each review I do is unbiased and based on my personal experience and research to ensure that players get access to the best possible options.